Find a copy in the library
Find it in libraries globally
|Material Type:||Fiction, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Octavia E Butler
|Description:||287 pages ; 21 cm.|
The river --
The fire --
The fall --
The fight --
The storm --
|Series Title:||Black women writers series.|
|Responsibility:||Octavia E. Butler.|
|Local System Bib Number:||
Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned across the years to save him. After this first summons, Dana is drawn back, again and again, to the plantation to protect Rufus and ensure that he will grow to manhood and father the daughter who will become Dana's ancestor. Yet each time Dana's sojourns become longer and more dangerous, until it is uncertain whether or not her life will end, long before it has even begun.
- African American women -- Fiction.
- Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Fiction.
- Southern States -- Fiction.
- Slaveholders -- Fiction.
- Time travel -- Fiction.
- Slavery -- Fiction.
- Slaves -- Fiction.
- African American women.
- Time travel.
- California -- Los Angeles.
- Southern States.
- Science fiction.
- African American authors -- Fiction.
User lists with this item (16)
- Charleston Syllabus (AAIHS) AFRICAN AMERICAN LITERATURE(37 items)
by Christt updated 2016-11-24
- Celebration of African-American Fiction - African American History Month(155 items)
by carteretlibraries updated 2016-02-26
- Things to Check Out(152 items)
by BikesAndBooks updated 2016-02-25
- Things to Check Out(122 items)
by dcwillis updated 2015-12-01
- #CharlestonSyllabus(310 items)
by ebrandow updated 2015-08-13